I learned this phrase as a young lad. The older I get I have come to learn how deep it goes. I was raised by a single parent (like 25% of US households today). I remember answering a judge’s questions with many tears at my parents’ separation/divorce proceedings around the age of five. I remember failed relationships in high school and college.
How can our families thrive with so much failure, which shows itself with so many mistakes? Do we just chalk it up and say, “everyone makes mistakes?” Do we say, “everything that doesn’t kill us makes us stronger?”
I remember sharing Jesus with a co-worker, and one of their responses frighten my inner most being. They made the comment, “I would forgive Jesus.” As I went to further explain to them, how can God be God, if He needs forgiveness? Jesus doesn’t need forgiveness, because Jesus is God, and God cannot fail and therefore cannot err. This simple statement of truth is how my family will thrive in a world surrounded by so much failure and mistakes.
The prize is relationship with the all perfect, all powerful, all amazing, all knowing, everywhere present, all loving, all righteous, all just, Triune God! I was made by God and for God, therefore I have no purpose without receiving it from God. God has given it to us in His Word. His Word, the Bible, is infallible (cannot fail) and inerrant (because it cannot fail, it does not err). The authority of the Bible rests on the authority of Christ; the sinlessness of Jesus.
Below are just 7 scriptures relating to family. Consider, and talk with mature believers about application in your life!
- Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” For this reason man shall leave his father and mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.
- House and wealth are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.
- An excellent wife, who can find?…The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.
- Fathers, do no provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
- Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother, (which is the first commandment with a promise), so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on earth.
- Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them;
- A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children.